David V. Gonzales Artist Biography
It was evident in his youth that Gonzales was a gifted and talented artist. He attended St. Catherine’s Indian School in Santa Fe and began exhibiting his work at the young age of 12. By the time he was 17, his work was on display in the Smithsonian and simultaneously received the New Mexico Governor’s Award. His art was on display at our Nation’s Capitol in Washington, D.C., as well as the Governor's Mansion in Santa Fe, N.M. Gonzales received a full scholarship to the San Antonio Art Institute. His works have been included in several National Museum Traveling Exhibits and an International Exhibit where his art was displayed next to the artwork of Keith Haring who is famous for his contribution to the Pop Art Movement.
Gonzales’ early work reflects his heritage, rich in Native American and Hispanic Cultural Traditions, but quickly expanded to include many styles and a multitude of mediums. Using oils, acrylics, watercolor, pencils, pastels, wood, and bronze, Gonzales has created 2 and 3 dimensional pieces ranging from photo realism to abstract.
In 1997 Gonzales moved to Colorado after falling in love with the small town of Manitou Springs. It was there that he began to masterfully express his fascination with relative objects moving through space and time. It is this movement of related things that unifies his diverse body of work. It is what makes his art unique and easily recognizable. His work is not a static representation of a single moment in time; rather they are more like living entities with a past, present, and future, ever moving and unfolding.
David V. Gonzales is the culmination of the artistic talent that has moved throughout his family for generations. This artist in motion is a true creative genius.
Recent Distinctions / Awards:
- Best Raw Artist . Awarded by the Pure Living Expo . Thousand Oaks . CA
- Official Ullr Fest Poster Artist . Breckenridge . CO
- Official Pikes Peak Marathon/Ascent Poster Artist . Manitou Springs . CO
- Official USA Pro Challenge Poster Artist . CO
- Official International Vail Film Festival Poster Artist . CO
- Commissioned Memorial Mural . County Courthouse . Colorado Springs . CO
- A Top Award Winner . Endowed by Plein-Air Magazine at the National Museum of Wildlife Art . Jackson . WY
- Collaborated with 3 Time Tour de France Legend, Greg LeMond and Warren Miller Film Star, Chris Anthony to help raise money for inner city youth.
- Awarded as “1 of the Top 10 Artists of the Year” through Redwood Media Group . OH
- Official Artist for the Breckenridge International Snow Sculpture Championships . CO
- Official Artist for the Vision Relay Cycling Race . Moab . UT
- Official Artist for the USA Cycling Hill Climb National Championships . Colorado Springs . CO
- Official Artist for the LOTOJA Cycling Race . Logan, UT . Jackson Hole, WY
- Official Artist for the Pikes Peak Marathon/Ascent . Manitou Springs . CO
- Official Artist for the International Albuquerque Hot Air Balloon Fiesta . NM
- 1990-1995 . Bachelor of Fine Arts
- San Antonio, TX . Kansas City Art Institute, MO . University of Southern Colorado
- Indian Arts Research Center . Santa Fe . NM
- United States Bicycling Hall of Fame . Davis . CA
- El Paso County Courthouse . Colorado Springs . CO
- Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum . CO
- Gonzales' work has been part of national and international traveling exhibits and is in numerous public and private collections internationally.